How many of you have dreamed of one day becoming a hip hop artist? I know I have before. It takes lots of ongoing practice and hard work to achieve this. There is a lot of stiff competition in the hip hop industry. Many rappers who are well known are constantly mentioned in the news as they have earned their popularity.
Do you want to know the steps to learn how to rap? Then keep reading.
I am going to show you some steps that you can take to get your foot in the door in the world of hip hop.
1. One of the main obvious things you can do to becoming a rapper is to listen to a variety of artists both old and new school. Listening to artists such as Tupac, Rakim, Biggie, Eminem, Immortal Technique and KRS-One are great ways to get a feel and taste of hip hop. Listen to the beats and how the rapper is saying their words to the beat. You need to listen to the hooks and verses, noting any intros or outros.
2. Print out the lyrics to hip hop songs and learn how to rap the lyrics to the songs. This will allow you to get a feel for the flow of hip hop music. The art of hip hop is being able to rap poetry to hip hop beats. This is the basic foundation for learning how to rap. You must learn the flow of rap to be successful as a rapper.
3. Learn how to rhyme. Rhyming is at the very core of hip hop lyrics and you need to be able to take any word and supply a number of words that rhyme with that word. You need to learn how to rhyme in your hip hop songs. Hip Hop is poetry and you need to connect with rhyming poetry.
4. You need to develop an understanding as to how rap songs are structured by looking at the number of verses and hooks in those songs. See if the song starts off with a hook or verse first. Is there an intro or an outro? You can imitate the structure of hip hop songs and apply them to your own rap songs.
5. Learn how rap artists write their lyrics and imitate them. Imitate the way that rappers write their lyrics in terms of their language and rhymes. Are there any metaphors, similes or punchlines? Do the lines contain elaborate or big words? How is the tone of the lyrics?
6. Can you freestyle? Learn how to make up your own freestyle lyrics to hip hop beats. This will help your imagination, rhyming skills and hip hop flow. If you ever want to become good at battle rapping, you must learn how to freestyle. Just practice rapping about the things around you and employ rhyme.
7. Writing everyday will allow you to refine your skills in hip hop music. Daily practice is key to getting better because it will not happen overnight.
If you want more information and a home study course that will give you all the steps to becoming a successful rapper, look no further than the Hip Hop Knights Hip Hop Lessons located on our home page. These lessons will teach you step by step the elements and devices that will help you improve your skills.